My Avatar

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Weekly Update: A Procrastinator's Goodbye to Summer


Reflections…

Getting back into the swing of things is hard. I like to think of myself as a flexible person, but I’m not sure that is always the case, especially when my routine is involved. It takes me a week or two to get into a summer routine, a week or two where I am grumpy and tired as I figure out how to negotiate my new normal. Then, just as I am starting to get into the zone, it is time to get in the back-to-school routine all over again.

During my final week of summer, I transform from a chilled-out chick in cut-offs to a maniacal cleaning and organizational freak whose hair cannot be tamed. I’ve tried and tried to change my procrastinator’s ways, but I seem to require a true sense of urgency in order to complete any sort of housework.

This has also become my way to gear-up for a new school year. I blow the dust off of the stacks of work left untouched. I restack, prioritize, read through lists, and start writing new lists. I’m relieved to find the fog that crowded my brain in the last weeks of school has now lifted and left me with more clarity and the energy to get moving.

I’ve also considered that my frantic cleaning and preparation might also be another form of procrastination. Getting back into “work mode” is not always easy, especially once I’ve worked so hard to get into the lazy-summer mode. Now, it’s time to start with a blank page of a new year…



Released STAAR Tests: April 2013 Administration

                           http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/staar/testquestions/


Upcoming professional development opportunities and district meetings…

Make sure you have registered for August Staff Development

Challenge: Find an article, blog, webinar, etc. and learn something new before you start teaching.


Some stuff I’ve been reading…

How Computers can Impede Spaces of Learning

High Impact Instruction
by Jim Knight
What if Your ABCs were Your 123s?
by Leslie Minton



Some sites/apps worth exploring…

Top 10 Sites/Apps for the Flipped Classroom

Top 50 Math Sites and Apps

TONS of (free) 1-3 minute Engaging Math & Science Videos for Kids


Don’t forget, you can find more at…
Teacher Learners on Edmodo

Group code: 194zaj

No comments:

Post a Comment