My Avatar

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Weekly Update: Being Makers

Reflections…

When you first meet my husband, he doesn’t really seem like an especially creative guy. He is very to the point and he sees things in an incredibly linear fashion. He also has a brain for statistics, which is mind-boggling to me. The thing is, though, he is incredibly creative.

Over the last week, Scott has been making new coffee tabletops out of old barn wood. When he finally finished and moved them into our living room, he was beaming with pride. “I can’t believe I made these,” he told me. “Other than Thomas [our son], this is the coolest thing I’ve ever made.”




This got me thinking about a video I came across a couple of weeks ago called “We are Makers.” I have embedded it below, and I hope you will take about 15 minutes to watch it. In the video, they talk a lot about the value of being part of a network of makers and how making things is cross disciplinary, experiential, and social. The personal expression of creating is intrinsically motivated and provides the makers with a sense of gratification that extrinsic influences don’t provide. What’s even better is how simple it is…all makers need is an environment that provides them with the resources and the safety to create, fail, recreate, and socialize about the process.

My husband may not be able to make a fortune in the furniture-building business, but he did make some pretty gorgeous tables. Now I just need to see what I can convince him to make next…




Upcoming professional development opportunities and district meetings…

PLEASE BRING YOUR LAPTOPS AND A POWERSTRIP FOR YOUR TEAM ON FRIDAY AND MONDAY.

August Staff Development
Make sure you have registered for August Staff Development—I will print attendance rosters tomorrow (Thursday)


SBISD Parent U – A Learning Conference for Parents
Thursday, October 24, 2013
Spring Woods High School
Choice Fair & Registration: 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
Learning Sessions: 5:30 – 8:35 p.m.  (Three 55-minute sessions – present at one or more!)

Be a Parent U Presenter -- Provide parents with tips, strategies and information to help them help their kids succeed!

Presentations (English or Spanish) should align with one or more of these four learning tracks: 

  • T-2-4 – Preparing for Higher Education – You can never start too soon!
  • Academic Success -- Elementary & Middle Grades – Helping Your Child Succeed!
  • The Whole Child – Supporting the Components of Coordinated School Health
  • School Choice – Understanding Choices, Programs and Opportunities in SBISD
APPLY TO BE A PRESENTER TODAY!
Click here for Presenter Application Form


Some Helpful/Interesting Information

Questions about the DRA?
This presentation should address many of those questions. If you need any information about how to administer DRA, I can help you find the online training modules.

Questioning article—very interesting ideas presented (with pictures)


Something to make you laugh…



Don’t forget, you can find more at…
Twitter: @SimmonsCorner
Teacher Learners on Edmodo
Group code: 194zaj

No comments:

Post a Comment